We wish the good folks at Peace and Sport the best of luck with this amazing event. You can read more about it in the press release copied below. Also included here is the provisional programme for the event and the attendee list.
For the first time, the Forum is organized in partnership with the United Office for Partnerships, the UN Office for Sport at the service of Development and Peace, and with the press agency Agence France-Presse.
An influential community of decision-makers from sport, politics and the private sector will get together next week in Monaco for the 3rd Peace and Sport International Forum to put sport at the service of sustainable peace in the world.
Placed under the High Patronage of H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco, this summit meeting will unite over 400 prominent personalities and experts from 80 countries to debate a major issue: how to promote and encourage policies and grassroots initiatives that, through sport, aim to relieve social tension and the consequences of conflict in the world.
Joël Bouzou, President and Founder of Peace and Sport, explains: “To achieve peace in the world is a major concern of inter-governmental institutions as well as citizens and all responsible entities in our international community. Today, sport is increasingly proving to be a legitimate and efficient instrument to achieve this objective. The community dedicated to committing or increasing their involvement in this initiative is on the rise, as shown by the growing success of the International Forum. Peace and Sport’s networking platform is designed to federate, enhance and encourage all initiatives and persons wishing to act to put sport at the service of peace”.
Who will participate in the 3rd Peace and Sport International Forum?
– 45 governments (Heads of State, Prime Ministers, Ministers of Sport and Ambassadors),
– Major international organizations (including the UN, the World Bank, the Council of Europe, the International Peace Bureau, etc.),
– Many members of the International Olympic Committee (Thomas BACH, Sergey BUBKA, Carlos Arthur NUZMAN, Mohamed MZALI…),
– At least 30 National Olympic Committees,
– 25 International Olympic and non-Olympic Sports Federations,
– Organizing committees of major sports events (Sochi 2014, Rio 2016, Youth Olympic Games…)
– Nearly 50 leading Non-Governmental Organisations (Right to Play, Sport Sans Frontières, British Council, Play Soccer, Education 4 Peace Foundation …),
– Prestigious universities (University for Peace, Swiss Academy for Development…),
– Companies from the private sector,
– Famous sports champions.
50 High-profile speakers will animate the 3-day conference, including:
H.E. Dr. Danilo TÜRK, President of the Republic – Republic of Slovenia
Prof. Federico MAYOR, President – Foundation for a Culture of Peace
Ms. Rama YADE, Secretary of State for Sports – France
Mr. Amir DOSSAL, Executive Director – UNOP (United Nations Office for Partnerships)
H.R.H. Prince Nawaf Faisal Fahd ABDULAZIZ, IOC Member,
Mr. Wilfried LEMKE, Special Adviser to the UN Secretary General on Sport for Development and Peace
Dr. Ralf-René WEINGARTNER, Director of Youth and Sport – Council of Europe
Mr. Jean-Edouard BAKER, President – Haitian Olympic Committee
Mr. Patrick MCQUAID, President – UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale)
H.E. Mr. Dae-Ki KIM, Vice Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism – Republic of Korea
H.E. Dr. Vivian BALAKRISHNAN, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, Republic of Singapore
Mr. Georges VANDERCHMITT, President, Carat Sport
Mr. Simon BALDERSTONE, General Manager of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Bid General Manager